Adventures in Potty Training
Last Thursday I began potty training Nathan. I have to admit the idea of potty training terrified me. I have heard horror stories from many different people from multiple generations and came to the conclusion that most people just do not like potty training. I was able to postpone the task for a while knowing that Nathan and I were not ready for it but the last few weeks of changing the diaper of a 2 1/2 year old (who is more the size of a 3 1/2 year old) was starting to get a bit unpleasant. I knew that I would have time off work in between Christmas and New Years so I thought it would be a good time to try.
I decided to follow the three day method a few of my friends had success with and marked off the calendar for three solid days starting the Thursday after Christmas. Ray took Nathan to the store to let him pick out his big boy underwear and we began talking about it to get him ready. I pushed my fear aside, allowed myself a nice big mug of coffee (thanks to my Christmas gift from Casey, very fitting gift by the way) and began. I put Nathan in his underwear Thursday morning and didn't take my eyes off of him. Thursday went much better than I expected. He seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly and didn't have any issue with me putting him on the toilet. Friday was a little different. We did not leave the house AT ALL for three days and by day 2 I think we both had cabin fever and were a little tired of waiting for the next trip to the bathroom. Still, we survived. By Saturday I was able to back away a little bit and he again showed me he was getting the hang of things. Then today happened...day 4...without any accidents! Each time Nathan had to go to the bathroom he either told me or showed me and he made it every time. I could not be more proud!
Next to breast feeding, potty training is probably next in line for my biggest accomplishment. I am extremely proud of both Nathan and myself. We were able to concur something I was fearing for the both of us and came out better because of it. I spent three days glued to Nathan. I needed to catch every time he needed to use the bathroom so I never let him out of my sight. Instead of doing the dishes and the laundry I played trucks, watched movies and chased Nathan around the house. It was exhausting but it bonded us together more deeply than before. Nathan now wants to show me whatever he is doing and holds my hand to take me into different rooms throughout the house with him. I have seen him tackle this new challenge and am so proud at the person that he is becoming. I loved watching the pride on his face and hearing him say "I did it!" with such enthusiasm.
It is adorable and odd to see the big boy underwear peaking out from his pants and folded in his drawer. I cannot believe that my first born BABY is wearing underwear. Where in the world does the time go?! The feeling is a little bittersweet but I am sure my wallet will thank me when I am only buying diapers for 1 child instead of 2.
I am shocked to say it but I think I actually enjoyed this experience because of what it brought to both Nathan and I. I now love him even more and am thankful for the bond we continue to share.
I decided to follow the three day method a few of my friends had success with and marked off the calendar for three solid days starting the Thursday after Christmas. Ray took Nathan to the store to let him pick out his big boy underwear and we began talking about it to get him ready. I pushed my fear aside, allowed myself a nice big mug of coffee (thanks to my Christmas gift from Casey, very fitting gift by the way) and began. I put Nathan in his underwear Thursday morning and didn't take my eyes off of him. Thursday went much better than I expected. He seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly and didn't have any issue with me putting him on the toilet. Friday was a little different. We did not leave the house AT ALL for three days and by day 2 I think we both had cabin fever and were a little tired of waiting for the next trip to the bathroom. Still, we survived. By Saturday I was able to back away a little bit and he again showed me he was getting the hang of things. Then today happened...day 4...without any accidents! Each time Nathan had to go to the bathroom he either told me or showed me and he made it every time. I could not be more proud!
Next to breast feeding, potty training is probably next in line for my biggest accomplishment. I am extremely proud of both Nathan and myself. We were able to concur something I was fearing for the both of us and came out better because of it. I spent three days glued to Nathan. I needed to catch every time he needed to use the bathroom so I never let him out of my sight. Instead of doing the dishes and the laundry I played trucks, watched movies and chased Nathan around the house. It was exhausting but it bonded us together more deeply than before. Nathan now wants to show me whatever he is doing and holds my hand to take me into different rooms throughout the house with him. I have seen him tackle this new challenge and am so proud at the person that he is becoming. I loved watching the pride on his face and hearing him say "I did it!" with such enthusiasm.
It is adorable and odd to see the big boy underwear peaking out from his pants and folded in his drawer. I cannot believe that my first born BABY is wearing underwear. Where in the world does the time go?! The feeling is a little bittersweet but I am sure my wallet will thank me when I am only buying diapers for 1 child instead of 2.
I am shocked to say it but I think I actually enjoyed this experience because of what it brought to both Nathan and I. I now love him even more and am thankful for the bond we continue to share.
Giant pile of underwear...didn't want to run out!
Making potty training cupcakes.
My potty trained big boy. I am so proud!