The Difference a Year Makes

Last year Memorial Day was much different than it was this year.  Last year Nathan was just over a month old.  He was constantly eating, we had no routine, and I was getting very little sleep.  Ray had just gone back to work from his paternity leave and I was not adjusting very well.  Memorial Day was particularly hard for me.  I didn't get much sleep the night before and was very tired.  When I thought Nathan was going to take a nap I decided to make myself a nice breakfast.  In the middle of cooking Nathan started crying letting me know he was not about to fall asleep.  I went upstairs to try to get him to sleep and ended up spending so much time with him I burnt my breakfast.  I came down to turn off the stove and in an attempt to grab my cup of orange juice I spilt the cup sending juice all over the dining room carpet.  I didn't get any of the laundry or cleaning done that day that I had hoped to and by the time Ray joined us I was pretty upset.  As the afternoon turned to evening a large amount of anxiety started to set in.  I wasn't prepared for another sleepless night and I had been in the house so long I felt the walls closing in on me.  Ray decided I should get out for a while so we put Nathan in his car seat and drove to the bookstore.  It felt nice to get out but I knew as soon as I got home the anxiety would be back.  Ray decided to take me on a long drive that night.  I was able to tell him that I was having a hard time adjusting to motherhood and that it was much harder than I thought.  I wasn't sure if I was doing things right or if I was being a good mom to Nathan.  Ray talked me through it and reassured me I was doing a great job.  He reminded me that this was new and would take some getting used to.  He also reminded me that I didn't need to stop doing things that I used to love because we now had a baby.  His words were very helpful and put my mind at ease.  Obviously things didn't become perfect after that but they got much better.

A year later I am still consumed by Nathan.  The love that I have for him consumes me beyond words.  I have more love for him than I could have ever imagined existing in the entire world.  There are times I watch him sleeping or playing and feel absolutely consumed with the love and pride I have for him.  I  cannot imagine my life without him.  He makes my good days great and my bad days better.  I still struggle with keeping things clean and getting the laundry done but I no longer let it get to me the way I did before.  I think that I have mastered walking Atari and pushing the jogger at the same time and going to a store with Nathan is no longer impossible, its fun.

I often wish I would have come into motherhood with no anxiety or struggle but I know that if that happened I would not appreciate it the way I do now.

This Memorial Day was VERY different.  Nathan and I had a great day and a lot of fun!


We started our morning taking Atari for a walk.  It was a beautiful morning and we loved being outside in the quiet before the day got busy.

[No Photo Available] 

After our morning routine and his nap we went for another long walk and threw the tennis ball for Atari (which Nathan loves to do!)  



We played with his new water table out back and had a great time enjoying the beautiful weather

Atari enjoyed soaking up the sun

I snuck in this one

 Nathan loves playing in water



I love my boy!

Popular posts from this blog

It Never Fails

Really?!

Time Flies