First Allowance

I had a few reasons to think that our last rainy Saturday was going to be a bad day.  I didn't have to wake up for work or church and it was my only chance to wake up that week without a cell phone alarm clock (I gave up on sleeping "in" about 21 months ago.)  Instead of enjoying extra sleep Nathan woke me up first thing in the morning crying.  I sleepily picked him up and came downstairs.  My mood sank again when I realized it was raining.  Nathan loves to be outside and spends the majority of his days in the backyard playing.  I was so tired I couldn't imagine spending an entire day trapped inside and I really thought it would be a bad day.  Lucky for me Nathan was in a great mood and his moods are highly contagious.  It turned out to be a wonderful day that I truly enjoyed with my boy.  We spent the day playing with Play Dough, coloring, reading books, playing in "dada's" car and even doing chores around the house.  Nathan was such a help to me that he earned his first allowance.  Nathan helped me load the washing machine, unload the dishwasher and dust the floors.  I wrote a note explaining how he earned the allowance and attached it to a $5 bill for his piggy bank.  I am sure that when he is ready to spend that money he won't care too much about what he did to earn it or the note I wrote him but I will save that note for his baby book and hopefully one day he will appreciate it.

I had no idea I would enjoy the toddler years as much as I am.  I won't lie, there are tantrums and continued sleep problems that tend to wear me down at times but overall this is a very enjoyable stage that Nathan is in.  When I was pregnant I had no trouble picturing myself taking care of a baby but I couldn't really imagine what it would be like with a toddler.  Now Nathan is walking, running, talking, singing, clapping, dancing and obviously doing "chores."  He has more personality than I can put into words and Ray and I often comment that we think we might have the happiest toddler in the world.  Nathan is absolutely a joy and his happy and fun spirit is something that I am thankful for every day.

My thinking is a little backwards when I think about our baby girl.  Now I can picture Nathan playing outside with his sister and riding in his wagon with her but I can't quite imagine life with a newborn and a toddler.  I can see myself chasing after two toddlers but I have a hard time imagining chasing one toddler when there is a newborn in the house.  I have no idea what is in store for us in the next few months but I know that we will adapt and find our way through all of the stages ahead.

I may be a very tired momma these days but I know that I am blessed and I am grateful for my blessings every day.  

Popular posts from this blog

It Never Fails

Really?!

Time Flies