Fever

Within two months my two best girlfriends have welcomed beautiful baby boys into the world.  Naturally, they have given me a little bit of "baby fever."  Ray and I have always wanted a big family so seeing their little babies and going back to the hospital where I had my babies makes me want to (just a little bit) think about getting ready for number 3.  As odd as it might seem I miss that hospital experience of being admitted, knowing you are about to meet your baby for the first time and going through labor to be able to bring them into the world.  As horrible as the hospital beds are and the way it never failed that a nurse would walk in to take blood or check some stat the minute you finally fell asleep, the smell of the hospital made me want to be back there, big belly and all ready to welcome a new life.

BUT then I came home.  The house was messy, the kids were hyper and both of them immediately wanted my attention.  I hope that Ray and I will have more kids one day but right now the two we have require a lot of love and attention and I'm not quite ready to have less time for them to devote to another child.  Right now we have a good routine; I know I can take both of them to the park and handle it.  I can give them a bath together and they have a blast.  We can take them to a theme park and have an even 1:1 ratio. I know that waiting a little longer to have another baby is a smart decision in many ways and I pray that God will let us know just when and if the time is right.  It might be a little bit sad to say no to the thought of having a baby right now but for Nathan and Casey I have no problem pushing that baby fever off to the side.

I also can't help but think about just how fast time really goes.  Casey is our "baby" and she is growing and learning more every day.  She picks out her own outfits and always chooses her own shoes.  Her hair is getting long and she looks more like a big girl than a baby every day. She will be two this year and I have no idea how it is possible.  I feel like she should still be crawling around the floor and drinking from a bottle.  My baby girl is growing up so fast.  I'm so proud of her but I can't help but miss holding that little baby in my arms.

Nathan might not completely agree with the above paragraph because he loves pointing out that "Casey is a baby and I am a big boy!"  Nathan will always be my baby but if he hears me call him that he is quick to correct me.  My "baby" boy is close to the size of a 5 year old and is outgrowing clothes and shoes quicker than I thought possible.  He absolutely loves school and church and we could not be more proud of the way he is learning.  He loves being around his friends and even though he loves to play rough he has a sweet and loving soul.  If its hard for me to realize that Casey is growing up fast its pretty much impossible to imagine that only a little under 4 years ago I was in a hospital giving birth to Nathan.  My little 7 pound 4 ounce newborn is no where in site when you look at him today.

It's ironic because just a few days ago I remember telling someone what fun stages the kids were at and today I am mourning the baby years.  It's hard to wrap your mind around time and the way it passes.  There were things that I loved and didn't like about them being babies.  There are things I love and don't love about the stages they are in now.  The things that I miss so much about the pregnancy/labor and delivery days have made me (almost) forget the unpleasantness of it all.  I know that time will continue to pass and there will be stages I like and stages I don't but I am blessed enough to have my beautiful babies at my sides and my husband leading the family.  I am also lucky enough to have great girlfriends who will probably let me hold their babies when I really feel the need!





  If I can't get a picture of them both smiling at me I might as well get one of them smiling at each other!

Popular posts from this blog

It Never Fails

Really?!

Time Flies