Skin Part 2

A while back I wrote a blog titled "Skin" all about the miracle of birth and that first feeling of your baby's skin on yours.  Over a year has past since I wrote that blog and I am still in awe.  There is nothing like feeling your child against you for the first time and that feeling does not fade with time.  I still love when Nathan and Casey lay against me and I am more amazed every day that they once fit inside of me!

Casey has given proof that my warm feelings are also felt by her.  I nursed Casey for 16 months, a few months longer than I planned but it was what she wanted and it was a beautiful bond between the two of us.  Even though I am no longer nursing her (thank God because that girl can eat!) we continue to share that closeness through the touch of our skin.  Casey loves to rest her head on my chest.  It helps put her to sleep when she needs to rest, it calms her down when she is upset and it gives her peace when she just wants to cuddle.  When she wakes up in the morning, when I come home from work and before she goes to bed she comes to me for our skin to skin time.  If I wear a scarf she pulls at it to get it out of her way and if I wear a jacket or shirt that covers my chest she pulls it over to the side so that she can rest right below my chin.  She also loves to hold her hand against my chest or rub my arm and hand.

It is amazing to me that my little girl needs to feel my skin to hers in this way.  She came from my skin and in the first moments of her life we bonded through it. It lets me know that she needs me and that we have a bond that will never be broken.